We have previously posted information about the new sponsored parent visa, with applications opening on 1st July 2019. Here is an update on the requirements to be a sponsor and applicant.
Sponsored Parent visa lets a parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen visit Australia for up to 5 years.
Applications to become an approved Parent Sponsor opened on 17 April 2019 while Applications for the Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (Subclass 870) open on 1 July 2019.
Important things to note for applicants:
- This is a temporary visa so this visa does not lead to permanent residency.
- You can stay in Australia for up to three or five years at a time.
- You can stay for a cumulative maximum 10 year period.
- You must be outside Australia for at least 90 days before being eligible to be granted another Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa, unless a Permission to Apply inside Australia is approved by us.
- You cannot work in Australia
What is the cost?
What is the processing time?
- Processing times are not yet available for this visa.
- It is expected processing times will be available approximately three months after applications open on 1 July 2019.
- You must also be an Australian citizen, or an Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia for at least 4 years, and
- You have not been unlawful or held a bridging visa (other than a bridging visa A, B or C) during the last 4 years
- You must have met and complied with any previous sponsorship obligations
- If you owe the Australian Government money, you must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.
- You must meet the income test. The minimum taxable income threshold is the full-time adult average weekly ordinary time earnings for the last income year. (annual income of at least $83,450)
- If you can’t pass the income test yourself, you, your partner and another Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand child of the visa applicant can combine your income to meet the whole minimum taxable income threshold. If combining income, the sponsor must meet 50 per cent of the minimum taxable income threshold.
- You must meet character requirement
- You must be the biological, adoptive, step-parent or parent in-law of the Parent Sponsor
- You must be aged at least 18 years of age
- You must have an approved Parent Sponsor to apply for this visa.
- You must have met and complied with any previous visa obligations.
- You must meet health requirement and character requirement.
- You must intend to stay only temporarily in Australia
- You must have and maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance to cover any unforeseen medical treatment you might need while you are in Australia.
- If you owe the Australian Government money or you have a public health debt, you must have paid it back or have arrangements in place to pay it back.
- have an approved Parent Sponsor before this visa application can be lodged
- apply online for this visa
- This visa application must be lodged within 6 months of the Parent Sponsor approval.
Number of places available
- Up to 15,000 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visas may be granted each program year (from 1 July to 30 June).
- If the cap is reached in a program year, no further visas will be granted until the next program year commences on 1 July.
If you have any questions or queries regarding this visa, or visas in general do not hesitate to contact the TranQuill Legal team and we will get back in touch with you.