TranQuill, Level 2, 28 University Avenue, CANBERRA, ACT, 2601
+61 (0) 26140 5311

Bridging visas

Bridging visas

A bridging visa is a temporary visa that might be granted in certain circumstances. Bridging visas let you stay in Australia lawfully while your immigration status is resolved. The type of bridging visa the Department of Immigration might grant you depends on your circumstances.

There are many categories of Bridging visa, the most common of which are – Bridging visas A,B and E.

Bridging visa A

This temporary visa generally allows you to stay in Australia after your current substantive visa ceases and while your new substantive visa application is being processed.

This visa allows you to:

  • stay lawfully in Australia until your substantive visa application is finally determined, or where granted in association with judicial review, until those proceedings are completed
  • work, if you meet the requirements for work

You must:

  • be in Australia when you apply
  • if you meet all the eligibility requirements, be in Australia at time of grant

A BVA does not allow you to return to Australia if you leave. It ceases on exit if it is currently active at the time you leave.

Bridging visa B

While bridging visas let you remain in Australia lawfully, only a bridging visa B (BVB) will let you leave and re-enter Australia while you wait for a decision.

You might be eligible for a BVB if:

  • you already hold a BVA or BVB, and
  • you are awaiting a decision on an application that is not yet finally determined or is at judicial review, and
  • you have a good reason for leaving and returning to Australia while you wait for the outcome of your visa application

A BVB lets you remain in Australia while:

  • The Department of Immigration processes your substantive visa application, or
  • you await a judicial or merits review

It will also have a defined travel period. You can leave Australia and re-enter on a BVB within this defined travel period. If you are in Australia when the travel period ends and you need to travel outside Australia again, you can apply for another BVB.

How can TranQuill Legal help you?

Bridging visas are commonplace but they can catch you out if you are not careful. We would highly recommend you get in touch with us before lodging your bridging visa as you don’t want a rejection.  Speak to one of our highly experienced team of Registered Migration Agents and immigration lawyers and they will advise you of the best course of action. Call us on +61 (0)2 6140 5311 or email [email protected] to arrange a consultation at your earliest convenience.