TranQuill, Level 2, 28 University Avenue, CANBERRA, ACT, 2601
+61 (0) 26140 5311

Employer Sponsored visas

Employer Sponsored visas

The main aim of the employer sponsored visas is to address areas of potential weakness in Australia’s labour market. These types of visas are limited to instances where it is proven that an Australian citizen or permanent resident with equivalent credentials is unable to be sourced locally.

Who can become a sponsor?

Theoretically any legally established and operating business can apply to be a sponsor, although there are restrictions.  We highly recommend you contact us and arrange a consultation before you choose as there can be complications for both employer and employee with all this visa and all the different subclasses.

The support you must provide the visa holder and your other obligations depend on:

  • your responsibilities as an employer
  • the type of visa you and the employee choose

Sponsorship approval are classified into 2 categories:

  • Standard Business Sponsor (subclasses 186, 482 and 495)
  • Temporary Activities Sponsor (subclasses 407 and in some instances 408)

Who can you sponsor?

You might be able to sponsor a skilled worker to come to Australia if you can't find an Australian citizen or permanent resident with the skills and experience needed for the job.

You can sponsor workers temporarily or permanently.

You can sponsor someone who is a skilled worker:

  • living overseas who wishes to travel and work in Australia, or
  • already in Australia on another type of visa which does not currently allow them to work, or
  • already living and working on another visa in Australia

You can also take over the sponsorship of people holding a Temporary Work skilled visa (subclass 457) Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482).

With limited exceptions, the job you sponsor the overseas worker to do must be on the Skilled Occupations List. If the job is not on the list, you might be able to negotiate a labour agreement. For high-skill niche roles that can’t be filled through existing visa programs you could access the Global Talent Scheme.

Some visa holders already have work rights or might be able to apply for a visa on their own. In that case you don’t need to sponsor them.

To bring someone to Australia for other temporary activities such as sports training programs, seasonal work or as performers, you can sponsor them for another type of work visa.  We talk about this in more detail on the Temporary Activities visa page.

How can TranQuill Legal help you?

Employer Sponsored visas is one of our most frequently lodged visas and we have years of experience in this area.  We can talk you through all the pit-falls and areas of difficulty before you choose the right visa stream for you and your employee, but talk to us before you start to ensure you don't get anything wrong!  Contact one of our Registered Migration Agents today by calling our Canberra office on +61 (0)2 61405311 or email or use our contact form and one of the team will be in touch to arrange a consultation within 24 business hours.