Student and Working Holiday visas
Student Visa (subclass 500)
A student visa allows you to visit Australia to study. You may bring your immediate family (spouse and/or dependent children) with you to participate in an eligible course of study and can stay on this visa for up to 5 years, or inline with the duration of your course.
Basic eligiblity for this visa include:
- You must be enrolled in a course of study in Australia
- You must hold an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), or fall in one of the exemption categories
- You must be 6 years or older
- You must prove you have a welfare arrangement if you are under 18
Working holiday visa (subclass 417)
This particular visa is for young adults who want an extended holiday and to work here to fund it. The basic eligibility criteria for this particular visa are:
- You must be 18 to 30 years old (inclusive) - except for Canadian, French and Irish citizens up to 35 (inclusive)
- You must have a passport from an eligible country or jurisdiction
- You must not be accompanied by dependent children
It is possible to have this visa extended up to 3 times if you are eligible. Each visa is valid for up to 12 months. Processing times can vary but generally the application should be finalised within 46 days.
How can TranQuill Legal help?
The information provided on this page is merely an overview, and these visas can have restrictions placed upon them, especially if you are looking to apply for a subsequent visa and can catch you out if you are not careful. Indeed you maybe trying to find ways to extend your visa indefinitely and need some assistance regarding the best course of action. By arranging a consultation with one of our experienced Registered Migration Agents we will give you succinct advice and help you aim for the outcome you desire. Contact one of our Registered Migration Agents today by calling our Canberra office on +61 (0)2 61405311 or email email@example.com or use our contact form and one of the team will be in touch to arrange a consultation within 24 business hours.