TranQuill, Level 2, 28 University Avenue, CANBERRA, ACT, 2601
+61 (0) 26140 5311

186 Labour Agreements

Less drama more DAMA?

This is a permanent residency visa (with five-year travel facility) that allows an employer to hire a skilled overseas employee directly or enable one of their temporary residence visa holders to apply for PR after meeting certain transitional arrangements. Companies and market sectors can also apply directly through work agreements (aka labour agreements).

Labour Agreement

  • All of the rules for the 186 go out the window when it comes to Labour Agreements (more correctly called work agreements).
  • Whatever the industry sector (eg pork producers or religious organizations) can negotiate with the Department of Home Affairs is good enough
  • Of course, the department will require that the employees meet the specific requirements for permanent residence (so the exemptions are not that exciting)
  • Agreements take months to negotiate

Designated Area Migration Agreements (DAMA)

  • DAMAs are a special kind of labour agreement
  • They deal with areas of Australia keen to offer jobs, eg:
    • Goldfields
    • Great Ocean Road
    • Orana
    • Northern Territory

How can TranQuill Legal help you?

There is so much more to the 186 Visa that can concisely be conveyed on a webpage, so we highly recommend arranging a consultation with us so we can run through everything you need to know. Contact one of our Registered Migration Agents today by calling our Canberra office on +61 (0)2 61405311 or email [email protected] or use our contact form and one of the team will be in touch to arrange a consultation.