What exactly is a ‘Notary Public’ or ‘Public Notary’?
A Notary Public is a Solicitor who holds a current full practising certificate and is appointed for life by the Supreme Court of a State or Territory as a Notary Public upon proof of good character and long outstanding experience in the practice of law. Owen Harris has been appointed by the ACT Supreme Court to hold such office and has internationally recognized power and authority to prepare certificates of Australian law for use overseas.
Notary Services We Offer At TranQuill Legal include:
- Certification of true copies for use overseas
- Administering oaths for use in Australia/internationally
- Certification of legal documents for use in Australia/internationally, including powers of attorney, wills, university degrees and transcripts, property deeds and general contracts
- Witness affidavits, statutory declarations and other documents for use in Australia/internationally
- Certification of the genuineness of documents
- Exemplification of official documents for use internationally (i.e. make an attested copy of a document under seal)
- Noting and contesting bills of exchange
- Preparation of ships’ protests
- Lodgement with DFAT (Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade) and embassies of notarised/authenticated documents and those requiring an apostille
How long do appointments take?
A notary appointment usually takes around half an hour, depending on the complexity of the work required.
Fees For Our Notary Services
As of July 1st 2019, for clients in Australia who are able to come in to our offices, we charge $132 for the first document being notarised and $66 per subsequent document (assuming all the documents are being notarised at the same appointment). We accept cash, credit card, EFTPOS and Applepay (in office only). It is also possible for us to arrange for you to pay by bank transfer in advance of the appointment if preferred.
The drafting of legal documents on your behalf is offered for an additional fee. Fee for this service on application.
We also offer a very comprehensive service for overseas clients, which includes completing all notary work, liasing with and travelling to DFAT and the relevant embassies to obtain authentication and legalisation of the documents. We can also arrange for the document to be couriered back to your required address if applicable. Fees for this complete service on application.